welcome to the freedomfest speaker resource center
We’re excited to have you confirmed as a speaker for FreedomFest Memphis at The Renasant Convention Center July 12-15, 2023! If you have any questions during the onboarding process, please contact Director of Programming Matt Day.
Date: July 12-15, 2023
Location: Renasant Convention Center, Memphis, TN
Contacts: Matt Day: Director of Programming – [email protected]
Valerie Durham: Executive Director – [email protected]
Autumn Skousen: Director of Operations/Finance – [email protected]
- I agree to attend the conference and to appear at my scheduled session(s) with prepared remarks and visual presentation materials as appropriate and relevant to the subject matter and session format.
- I understand that as a speaker at FreedomFest I am part of a cadre of prestigious experts at a conference known for a tradition of excellence.
- In line with that tradition, I affirm that my presentations at FreedomFest will be:
well-prepared, well-researched and accurate;
- well-crafted with appropriate visuals, audio and content development;
- compelling, informative and entertaining;
- innovative (present something new or more in-depth than what is typically heard or shared);
- and create an enjoyable “experience” for our audience.
- Any changes or scheduling conflicts must be sent in writing to [email protected] as soon as possible.
- I understand that changes requested after May 1, 2023 may not be accommodated or reflected in printed materials.
- I understand that canceling my appearance would cause difficulty in the conference planning process. In the event I must cancel my appearance, I will notify the FreedomFest team as soon as possible and will offer a replacement suggestion for a reasonable substitute speaker with substantially comparable levels of expertise, speaking ability and name recognition.
- I retain ownership of all content and expertise I present in my session and warrant that it is accurate.
- I am solely responsible for obtaining all proper permissions for any images or content used in my presentation, including proper permissions to share video and audio recordings conducted by FreedomFest.
- I agree to allow FreedomFest to use my name, likeness and bio/session information in marketing efforts to promote conference attendance.
- I am responsible for registration, travel, meals and hotel accommodations, unless an alternative arrangement has been agreed upon with FreedomFest.
- When applicable, I understand FreedomFest will make reimbursement payments within 4-6 weeks of the conclusion of FreedomFest. Please submit applicable receipts/invoices to [email protected] for reimbursement.
- FreedomFest, Inc. is deeply committed to protecting the privacy and security of our attendees’ personal and financial information. We do not sell, share or rent the name, billing address, email address, telephone number, credit card or any other information about our attendees to anyone, including other attendees, speakers, sponsors or exhibitors. FreedomFest Inc. maintains this information in-house and uses it solely to contact our attendees directly regarding FreedomFest events, speakers and exhibitors.
- FreedomFest, Inc. is a “big tent event” that brings together a diverse range of speakers, in sessions, panels and debates that cover politics, investments, economics, history, philosophy, science & technology, art & literature, and healthy living. All exhibitors and speakers are independent business people or entities and are not directed or controlled by FreedomFest Inc., nor does FreedomFest Inc. sponsor or promote, directly or indirectly, any agenda, idea, product or service offered by speakers or exhibitors. FreedomFest Inc. is not liable or responsible for the advice, offerings, actions or services of exhibitors or sponsors. We encourage all participants to examine information, ask questions, and carefully evaluate and compare advice from our various exhibitors, speakers, sponsors and other attendees. Participants should carefully consider whether material and information they receive is suitable to their personal circumstances before taking any action.
- FreedomFest serves as a platform for engaging, thought-provoking conversations and experiences. We encourage freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, free market interchange and voluntary interactions within a civil and productive environment. We also believe in the right to be left alone, and we do not tolerate or condone actions or language that is abusive or invasive, especially sexual harassment. FreedomFest is not a place for behavior that is inappropriate, off-topic, disruptive, abusive, or criminal.
- FreedomFest defines inappropriate behavior as that which undermines the spirit of FreedomFest, including any form of written, verbal or physical abuse or threats; the use of derogatory or discriminatory language, gestures or actions; any form of harassment, including sexual harassment, racism, sexism, or any other targeted comments which may cause harm to another FreedomFest participant before, during or after the FreedomFest events, including via the FreedomFest mobile app, through social media channels, while engaging in any online aspect of the events, or any other method of communication or interaction.
- By choosing to attend FreedomFest you acknowledge and accept the risks inherent in being in public places. Participants should carefully consider their personal circumstances before attending. Anyone attending or taking part in the event must use their own good judgment, follow all guidelines/laws, and take reasonable care to avoid injury to their health, person or property.
- Contact Valerie Durham, Executive Director, ([email protected]) or Matt Day, Director of Programming, ([email protected]) if you believe you’ve observed or experienced a violation of this Code of Conduct, and FreedomFest will work to assess the situation and to respond as soon as possible. Notifying FreedomFest does not constitute or replace a notification to local law enforcement. All suspected violations of the law should be reported to local law enforcement. For emergencies, immediately dial 9-1-1.
Filming, Photography, and Video Recording in Progress
- All sessions at FreedomFest are audio recorded for archival purposes. Sessions that take place in the main ballroom are also video recorded for archiving and livestream purposes. Various photographers are taking photographic images throughout the conference in all meeting spaces. Additionally, various media outlets will be broadcasting FreedomFest activities and events. By attending and participating in FreedomFest, you agree to allow your likeness and voice to be potentially captured and shared by audio and video.
- Prior to your arrival at FreedomFest, you will receive a FINAL DETAILS email approximately 3 weeks before the event with important arrival details.
- All presentations should be dynamic and engaging with an emphasis on teaching through story. Visual aids, including PowerPoint, should contain maximum imagery and minimal text (eg. think TED talk vs classroom lecture).
- While we encourage you to use the work you are doing to help tell a story, we advise you to refrain from overt sales pitches during any of your presentations. It’s our experience that the most popular sessions tie the session theme to the overall theme of the event.
- Breakout sessions are scheduled for 50 minutes. Please leave at least 10 minutes for questions from the audience.
- Main stage sessions vary in length. You must arrive and check in with the stage manager at least 30 mins before your session begins. Deliver any main stage presentation files on a thumb drive to the stage manager at that time.
- Main stage speakers: Feel free to email your presentation to Matt Day. Please name the file “Last Name, Session Title.”
- Breakout session speakers: We encourage you to use your own laptop for your presentation so there aren’t any compatibility issues — our AV team will plug it into the system.
For Our Panelists:
- We intend our panels to be very conversational. Our moderators are there to promote engaging conversations.
- We will connect all panelists in an email and we encourage you to discuss the panel structure and format ahead of time.
- Matt Day, Programming Director for FreedomFest, is available to do a phone conference with any speaker who needs additional information about stylistic expectations.
The FreedomFest registration counter will be on the second floor of the Renasant Convention Center. Signs and volunteers will be on hand to direct you. There will be Self-Registration and Full Registration available. Note that there is a separate check-in area for speakers and exhibitors. Check in starts Wednesday, July 12 at 9 am. Be sure to arrive on site at least two hours before your session. We will be sharing additional registration instructions via email as we near the event.
We would love for you to record a short video or write a brief message about your appearance at FreedomFest, share it as a post, and tag @TheFreedomFest and #FFest23. Below are a few best practices to follow so you look and sound your best:
- Smart-phone videos are totally fine (and even preferred!)
- Shoot your video in a landscape (horizontal) orientation
- Video length: shoot for around 1 minute
- Speak clearly and try to limit background noises like dishwashers or fans
- Find your light! To make sure we can see you clearly, consider sitting near a window or table lamp.
If you would like additional promotional materials from us, please contact Hayley Aragona, Marketing Director, [email protected].
We have an active Media Row at FreedomFest and encourage our speakers to participate in interviews. We will reach out to ask if you are interested in doing interviews, and will provide that curated list to our media outlets to arrange interview opportunities directly with you.
To learn more, visit our Media Kit page.
1) All breakout sessions are equipped with a projector, screen, and microphones. Bring a laptop to display your breakout session presentation (aspect ration 16:9 for the main stages). VGA is preferred, but HDMI is also available. Cables for both will be provided.
All breakout sessions are 50 minutes long. FreedomFest has a busy agenda with many speakers. It is vital that all speakers finish on time out of respect for each other. Main stage session presentations and panels vary in length – please check the agenda for your timeslot for main stage appearances.
2) Copy your presentation to a flash drive/USB in case something happens to your computer. The AV team will have a backup computer to upload your presentation from the flash drive in case of a laptop emergency. To be safe, have a back up!
3) Main stage presentation materials should be on a flash drive/USB to hand to the stage manager at least 30 mins before your main stage session begins. Be in the green room behind the main stage at least 30 mins before your main stage presentation. Please note: we have two main stages at FreedomFest this year. Double check your schedule to ensure you go to the correct stage.
4) If you have a Mac, please bring a VGA or HDMI adapter if you can. We will have 1 or 2 as back up if needed, but if you have your own to bring, please do.
5) The basic AV set up in each breakout room includes:
a) a projector with VGA and HDMI adapters/compatibility
c) podium and table microphones
d) podium and panel table with chairs
The AV techs will be able to assist you with set-up if required.
There will be public wifi available throughout the conference meeting room space.
We encourage you to use your own laptop for your presentation so there aren’t any compatibility issues — our AV team will plug it into the system.